Nov 7 4 min reading. No Comments.
The Mohamed VI Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art… a museum at the heart of Rabat
Where is the Mohammed VI Museum of Modern Art located?
The Mohamed VI Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art is located at the heart of Rabat Medina. Preciselly at the corner of Boulevard Moulay El Hassan and Boulevard Allal Ben Abdallah.
His Majesty King Mohammed VI inaugurated this museum in October 2014. We can also note that it is:
- The first Moroccan museum institution dedicated entirely to modern and contemporary arts,
- The first Moroccan public museum institution that follows international museum standards,
- The first museum in Africa to fully use solar energy.
Mohammed 6 museum is a self-contained institution and a true platform for exchange and communication. Among its objectives are:
- Covering the development of Moroccan artistic creativity in the field of visual arts (period: the beginning of the twentieth century to the present),
- Contribute to the promotion and preservation of the modern and contemporary artistic heritage in Morocco,
- Supporting young artists and creators,
- Introducing the history of Moroccan art,
It also presents to the public a panorama of the pictorial history of twentieth century Morocco.
Collection of the Mohammed VI museum
The museum has the finest nd the most impressive art collections in the Kingdom of Morocco. Indeed, his permanent collection offers a historical insight into the development of modern and contemporary Moroccan art. To this end, a chronological division into four main periods was adopted.
Furthermore, the museum regularly hosts temporary exhibitions, including:
- 2021 : Delacroix, Memories of Trip To Morocco.
- 2019 : Lights of Africa
- 20188 : Chaibiya Talal, Fatima Hassan Alfarouj and Radia Bint AlHussein..a trip to the fountains of art
- 2017 : From Goya to Today: A Look at the Museum Collection of the Bank of Spain
- 2017 : Africa radiates from the capital
- 2015 : Medieval Morocco: An Empire from Africa to Spain : A call to re-read the period of the eleventh to the fifteenth century. Where the moroccan Almoravid, Almohad and Marinid dynasties united a political and cultural space centered around the Far Maghreb (Sub-Saharan Africa to Andalusia).
- 2014 : Inaugural exhibition 1914-2014: 100 years of creativity.
When will the Mohammed VI Museum of Modern Art open its doors?
- Address : Corner of Boulevard Moulay Hassan and Boulevard Moulay Abdellah in Rabat.
- Hours of Operation: Open daily from 10 am to 8 pm, and closed on Tuesdays.
- Entry prices :
- 40 dirhams (MDH) for adults
- 20 dirhams for children
- Free access :
- Wednesday: Free admission for students and students
- Free entry for Moroccans, foreign residents and students on Fridays
- Free entry for faculty members and ICOM membership card holders.
- Opening year : 2014
Rabat… an Andalusian city
The city of Rabat, the administrative capital of the Kingdom of Morocco, is located on the left bank of the Bouregreg Valley estuary in the Atlantic Ocean. It is truly a mixture of Arab-Islamic civilization and Western modernity. It is also one of the best tourist destinations in the world. The city was founded by the Almohad dynasty in the twelfth century. It should also be noted that Rabat was designated a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 2012.
References and sources for the Mohamed VI Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art
Finally, you will find below some useful references and links about the Museum of Contemporary Art in Rabat:
- Musée Mohammed VI d’Art Moderne et Contemporain (archive.org)
- Rabat Hosts Exhibition “Delacroix, Memories of Trip To Morocco”, a First in Africa and Arab World | MapNews
- Africa as capital city: Celebrating African art and culture in Morocco | The Guardian
- Rabat, Modern Capital and Historic City: a Shared Heritage – UNESCO World Heritage Centre
- The City of Rabat awarded world heritage site status | UCLG
- HRH Prince Moulay Rachid Inaugurates In Rabat ‘Medieval Morocco: An Empire From Africa To Spain’ Exhibition | Maroc.ma
- Archives – Museum